In China, the internet has become an integral part of everyday life.
The country’s Communist Party is still firmly in charge of all aspects of society, from education and health care to government regulation, and it has taken a great deal of pride in its ability to keep tabs on the entire internet.
The government’s internet control is one of the main reasons why it has been able to keep its citizens in the dark about what is happening on the internet.
In recent years, Chinese media outlets have taken to the internet with reckless abandon, with some even using fake accounts to attack state media and even state-owned entities.
In the past few years, several major state-run news portals were hacked and taken offline, including the Beijing Times, Beijing Evening News, Xinhua News Agency, and People’s Daily Online.
And, last year, a large-scale cyber attack at a state-controlled news agency in the northern city of Xiamen left more than 4,000 people unemployed.
This time around, it looks like the government has decided to take a more cautious approach.
In a statement, the Chinese Central Television (CCTV) warned on Tuesday that the country was in danger of being left behind in terms of cybersecurity.
The government has made clear that cyber attacks are part of the daily lives of Chinese citizens and that cybercrime will be punished severely, the statement said.
China has made cybersecurity a top priority for a number of years, and this includes the creation of an agency tasked with protecting the internet and cyber infrastructure, including cyber security and the handling of cybercrime.
The new Cybersecurity Action Plan of the Ministry of Public Security, released on March 16, also includes a proposal to set up a cybersecurity agency with the responsibility for cybersecurity of state-funded organizations.
According to the CCPV, the cyber attacks in recent years were aimed at harming the national security, and in addition, were meant to “damage China’s economic and social stability.”
In the past, the CCP has been accused of a number false-flag attacks, such as the massive breach at a telecommunications company in January 2016 that resulted in the shutdown of some 6 million computers, which led to the resignation of the government and the seizure of $2.8 trillion in assets.
The cyber attack against the People’s Liberation Army (PLA) in November 2016, which was claimed to have been carried out by North Korea, caused some 20 million Chinese Internet users to lose access to social media, leading to the suspension of access to VPN services.
The new CCP statement did not explicitly name the attackers, but it does state that China’s cyber infrastructure is under increasing threat and will be the subject of the country’s response to cyber attacks.
The Chinese government, the new statement said, will also take steps to ensure the safety and security of Chinese internet users, and will “support” the international community in this regard.